The floor covering must be cleaned regularly, otherwise it will lose all its decorative characteristics in just 2-3 years of operation. In a domestic environment, you can use a regular vacuum cleaner and hard brushes for cleaning. We will tell you how to care for your carpet correctly right now.
Shoe Marks Removal Process
Basic tips on how to vacuum your carpet properly
Speaking about how to care for synthetic carpets and products made from natural materials, the following recommendations should be given:
- Monitor the condition of the filter and the bag in which the vacuum cleaner collects debris. If the bag is overfilled, the suction quality is significantly reduced, and the vacuum cleaner may simply burn out. Also, do not forget to clean or wash the brush after each cleaning;
- Devote enough time to this work, haste reduces the overall quality of cleaning;
- When vacuuming the carpet, move the brush in different directions, which will fluff the fibers and extract the maximum amount of dust from them;
- Remember that the largest amount of debris accumulates in the areas under furniture and on the central part of the carpet, so you need to spend about 70% of the cleaning time on their cleaning;
- Carpet is an indoor air filter, if you do not regularly use a vacuum cleaner, then the pile will become dull, accumulating dust.
- When talking about how to vacuum a long pile carpets you just bought, it’s worth mentioning that a carpet that looks clean can actually be literally clogged with dust. Dust inevitably settles between the fibers, forming a stable abrasive layer. Taking a step on such a coating, you shorten its life.
How often should you vacuum your carpet?
Experts recommend vacuuming your flooring at least 2 times a week. If four-footed friends live in your house, then it is recommended to take up the vacuum cleaner 3 times a week. It’s hard to believe, but a standard apartment collects more than 4 kg of weightless dust during the year, most of which are keratinized particles of human skin, hair, as well as pet hair, and other small debris.
Such an environment will be the best home for dust mites and bacteria, which will begin to multiply actively. As a result, you will have to inhale all this garbage daily. And that’s not all, because dust mites cause skin problems (dermatitis, rash), the development of allergic reactions and respiratory diseases.
Please note that the vacuum cleaner, being a powerful enough device, does not provide 100% cleaning, therefore it is recommended to periodically use a professional dry cleaning service for carpets with export to the factory. The services of specialized companies (cleaning at home and washing in the shop) should be contacted once a year, if there are pets – once every 8 months. Even you bought carpets online or from any shop.
How to care for long pile rugs and other types of carpet?
We wear indoor slippers not only to warm our feet, but also to protect carpets. The fact is that human skin produces a fatty secretion, which remains on the coating during walking. Firstly, such spots lead to grease, and secondly, dust settles on them, as a result of which dark “paths” appear on the product. Pay attention to a few more simple care tips:
- Be sure to use a door mat, placing it outside and inside the apartment. The first will collect excess sand, dust, dirt and moisture, the second will allow you to comfortably take off your shoes without polluting everything around.
- If you have to resort to wet cleaning to remove fresh stains, then use only cool water.
- Turn the product over regularly, preventing wear on a certain area.
- Protect the coating from direct sunlight, which leads to its fading.
- Never walk on carpet without taking off your outdoor shoes. Even if you are in a hurry. Even if you forgot your keys, but you need to go to the bedroom. Street dirt instantly falls off the soles, settling in a dense layer in the pile.
- Talking about how to care for a long-piled carpet, it is worth giving useful advice to pet owners: brush cats and dogs regularly, be sure to wash their paws after a walk, otherwise sand and wool will remain on the floor covering.
How to care for silk and viscose rugs?
Products made from silk and viscose require very gentle cleaning. It is recommended to vacuum them once a week, because the brush leads to abrasion of the silk, as a result of which it loses its attractiveness. The main enemy of these materials is water, as well as household chemicals and products based on it. Silk coatings, upon contact with water, deform, become hard, which, of course, does not add to their beauty.
In the production of some silk models, organic dyes are used, which blur when exposed to moisture. Use only dry cleaning, and it is better to order a dry cleaning of carpets once a year.
How to care for a woolen carpet correctly?
The first thing to consider are several factors that can be harmful:
- Steam, thermal drying with an iron or hair dryer entail deformation (wool “shrinks”), color fading;
Natural wool is susceptible to attacks by moths and fungi. Regular professional dry cleaning at home will help prevent them.
Woolen carpets, like other types of natural coverings, cannot be cleaned with household chemicals that contain chlorine. This substance weakens fiber dyes, making them harder and more brittle. As a result, the pile looks sloppy, it fades quickly. This process accelerates burnout when exposed to direct sunlight. During cleaning, it is necessary to accurately determine the composition of the product; only professional cleaners can handle this work. By the way, for cleaning they use chemistry based on organic solvents without chlorine, which will restore the product: color, quality, purity. These stuff of course will be available at any best carpet supplier warehouse.
We talked about how to care for a fleecy carpet and models made from natural and synthetic materials. Please note that the above recommendations will allow you to effectively clean your flooring products, which will reduce your dry cleaning costs in the long run!