Most of the aspirants believe that hard work and discipline are enough to crack competitive exams. And with the complete study material aligning with the ssc chsl syllabus, ssc cgl syllabus, GATE syllabus, and others, available at our fingertips, the means to make it big are easily accessible as well. Thanks to the rise of online learning portals. – Students nowadays are finding ways to get through with any examinations that they’re preparing for, and their most common resources are online. Whether it’s a competitive exam, calculus, computer science, and even statistics, there are a bunch of online articles like https://examgenius.org/
But what often goes overlooked in this competitive atmosphere, is the importance of delivery on the day of the exam. A wide majority of the appearing candidates prepare well for the respective exam, but only a few are able to deliver when it matters the most. The difference lies in the plan that one executes on the exam day and the manner in which the question paper is approached.
To club all your knowledge acquired over months and apply it efficiently & effectively in the exam hall, is a science that needs to be focussed on. On that note, let’s take a look at some basic pointers that aspirants should bear in mind to obtain a score that is proportional to their effort.
- Start with the Easy Stuff: This is easier said than done. Students often tend to waste crucial time stuck in questions that are meant to keep them occupied. Rather cruise through all the problems that you’re able to solve at the first go, and avoid wasting time on the ones that seem problematic and time-consuming. This will secure you a decent score and at the same time, leave you with ample time to tackle the tough questions. This approach has to be practised repeatedly during mock tests so as to ensure proper execution on the final day.
- Sectional Time Management: As far as the difficulty of the question paper goes, it will always be designed for the stipulated time. All the different sections will not require identical time spans to solve, and the precise time duration should be etched in your mind. So that when you’re past that allotted time, you know you need to move on to the next section without further thought and revisit this part later. This will ensure that you’ve attempted and given required attention to all the sections responsibly.
- Accuracy over Bulk Attempts: Almost all the competitive exams penalise students with 25% to 33% marks for a wrong answer these days. For instance, the ssc chsl admit card states that for a wrong answer attempt of 2-mark question, half mark (25%) will be deducted. This makes for an argument to stray away from random guesses. Always remember that your aim is to score more and not attempt more. Move on to the next problem if you’re not sure about the current one, but don’t mark answers based on hunches or gut feeling. Negative marking eats away at the marks you scored in the right attempts and severely harms your ranking.
- Follow the Instructions Carefully: It will amaze you to know how much time you can save just by reading the instructions on the screen. Follow all the instructions that the exam center authorities relay to you, and be on your best behaviour throughout. Carrying yourself with such calmness will land you in a stable mental state before the timer starts, and save you crucial seconds wasted otherwise.
- No Reason to Panic: In the tireless hustle to prepare and score, we often tend to forget that it is just an exam. Have faith in your preparation strategy and attempt each problem with utmost confidence. Even if you go blank, it is important to know that this is not the end of the world. Throwing a fit wouldn’t help your cause. Take deep breaths and sip water at regular intervals to keep the stress levels at a minimum.