In This Article, We Are Going Discuss Is Cosmetic Surgery Ethical?
Cosmetic surgery focuses on enhancing the appearance of a patient. Thus, the procedures and techniques, as well as the principles surrounding cosmetic surgery are all about enhancing a person’s appearance. The key goals of this surgery are to improve the aesthetic appeal, proportion, and symmetry of a person.
Typically, cosmetic surgery is performed in all areas of the body, depending on the wishes of the patient. Moreover, cosmetic surgery is considered to be an elective procedure, since it doesn’t treat any medical condition, it’s considered to be elective. Thus, both cosmetic and plastic surgery surgeons perform cosmetic surgery procedures.
Common types of cosmetic surgery procedures:
- Facial contouring – rhinoplasty, cheek or chin enhancement
- Breast enhancement – breast reduction, breast lift, breast augmentation
- Facial rejuvenation – facelift, brow lift, neck lift, eyelid lift
- Skin rejuvenation – laser resurfacing, filler treatments, Botox
- Body contouring – liposuction, tummy tuck, gynecomastia treatment
So, is cosmetic surgery ethical?
Well, there’s no definite answer to this question. However, concerns about the procedure tend to arise since it focuses on enhancing the appearance of a person, not restoring medical conditions caused by birth defects or injuries.
Some critics of cosmetic surgery argue that the procedures corrupt the natural appearance of the body. However, some of these arguments are baseless, since there’s no law or rules prohibiting people from changing the appearance of their physical bodies. Moreover, if we consider plastic surgery to be unethical, then, we should also consider all the other ways of enhancing our appearance unethical. Some of these methods include grooming, applying makeup, as well as wearing fashionable clothing.
But, to have a better understanding of whether cosmetic surgery is ethical or not, let’s look at the benefits and drawbacks of the procedures.
Benefits of plastic surgery
According to Arizona cosmetic surgery experts, there are numerous benefits associated with cosmetic surgery. The following are a few of these benefits.
Improved confidence and self-esteem
Enhanced confidence and self-esteem is one of the common and noticeable benefits of cosmetic surgery. People struggling with stubborn belly fat can feel better and more confident after undergoing liposuction. Apart from this, there are numerous examples of how cosmetic surgery can improve a person’s self-esteem, and most of these examples cannot be disputed. While these changes can improve your external appearance, they can also assist in rebuilding your self-esteem and confidence.
Click here – 5 Things To Do in Lansdowne
Improved mental health
Cosmetic surgery can greatly improve a person’s mental health. People who are self-conscious about their appearance of certain parts of their body tend to avoid social gatherings. Even though this is a common, psychological reaction, it can hold back your life, and prevent you from doing certain things.
However, cosmetic surgery can reduce your social anxiety since your new appearance will boost your self-confidence, as well as new feelings. With this, you’ll notice that you don’t struggle to take on new challenges. Moreover, it will give you greater control of your life—thanks to the improved mental health.
Improved physical health
Certain cosmetic surgery procedures can greatly improve your health, in addition to your appearance. For instance, rhinoplasty, or nose job can improve your appearance, and also allow you to breathe easily. Breast reduction surgery, on the other hand, can improve the shape of your body, and also relieve you from the skin irritation and back, and neck pain caused by large breasts.
Drawbacks of cosmetic surgery
Before agreeing to undergo cosmetic surgery, it’s essential to understand that these surgical procedures do have their drawbacks. Here are a few drawbacks of undergoing cosmetic surgery:
- The procedure can make you feel less confident, particularly when you start thinking or feeling like you are a fake version of yourself. While you might try to avoid thinking about this, comments from your friends and family can trigger the thoughts, and make you feel like you are no longer yourself. At the end of the day, you’ll start wondering whether people will accept you if you realize you underwent cosmetic surgery.
- Ideally, cosmetic surgery will only solve your aesthetic issues, and not your mental and emotional problems. Eventually, you’ll be left feeling more lost and confused—especially when you realize that the surgery is not solving your mental issues.
- Just like any other surgical procedure, there’s always a risk of complications with cosmetic surgery, and this can significantly affect your health.
Ultimately, we cannot argue that cosmetic surgery is ethical or not. This is an individual choice, which should be done for personal reasons, and not to impress other people. When done for the right reasons, cosmetic surgery can drastically improve your life.
However, it would be unethical to undergo cosmetic surgery to make other people love you. Moreover, cosmetic surgery will not make you a celebrity—and if you think it will, then you are misguided. Thus, you should ensure that you do cosmetic surgery for the right purposes—to feel better about yourself, and not because you want to please other people.