You must pay an HVUT return if you own a heavy vehicle with a taxable gross weight of 55,000 pounds or more. IRS form 2290 makes it mandatory to pay the federal Highway tax (per year) that is imposed on commercial heavy motor vehicles.
It is suggested by the authority of IRS that all vehicle owners needing to fill out these forms do so online or using electronic sources as this is time-saving, instant and hassle-free.
Also, if 25 or more vehicles are in possession, it is mandatory to do online filing. E-filing your form 2290 is an easy, convenient, flexible, and simple process.
Benefits of E-filing Form 2290
Some advantages of e-filing that makes the process worth the value are as follows:
- Once you have all the required documents and data in hand, you can easily efile with just a few clicks.
- The customer support staff of e-file service providers can guide you step by step to ensure you complete form 2290 successfully, making it easy to file even if you are new to the process.
- You can rest assured that the information reaches the destination (IRS) with safety and privacy assurance.
- Hard copies are difficult to manage, so the process of e-filing (online filing) is hassle-free and time-saving.
- No visits to any offices or departments save time, and much is received with less effort.
- E-filing allows you to receive your Form 2290 Schedule 1 copy within minutes of filing.
Online Payments Methods for Form 2290
There are four modes of payment for your HVUT return, out of which three are online payment modes:
Electronic Federal Tax Payment System (EFTPS): The charge-free system of paying taxes and making payments using the internet is EFTPS. To get familiar with the EFTPS options, one needs to complete the registration by checking the official website at any time.
To enroll in EFTPS, you need three important and unique pieces of information:
- Employer Identification Number (enrolling as a business) or Social Security Number (enrolling as an individual).
- Bank account number and routing number.
- Name and address as specified on your IRS tax documents.
After enrolment, you will receive a PIN in your mail within 7 business days, which you can use to start using the EFTPS service.
Electronic Funds Withdrawal (EFW): The tax amount is directly debited by the IRS system from the provided bank account within 24-48 hours through this payment option. The respective person has to provide the bank account details and registered routing number.
Ensure that there is a sufficient balance in the attached account. IRS sends a notice (along with the amount of penalty to be paid) in case of wrongly entered account number or insufficient balance in the concerned person’s account.
Credit/Debit Card: You can make your HVUT payment using a credit/debit card. You will be redirected to the IRS page to make the payment, where you can enter your card details to make the transaction.
Check/Money Order (offline payment mode): If you wish to make an offline payment, you can do so by sending a check/money order directly to the IRS. You can send it to the United States Treasury and fill in your name, address, EIN, and payment date.
Suppose you are interested in authorizing an employee, any expert, or any other kind of third party about your Form 2290 e-filing. In that case, it can be very easily done by giving the Name, PIN and phone number of the authorized person.
Once the filing is done and the process is completed, form 2290 is submitted. You will then receive your IRS stamped Schedule 1 to your email address within minutes.
Getting Schedule 1 online is much easier and quicker than manual procedures.