What Type of Marijuana is Medicinal?
Marijuana has a lot of uses. It can be used recreationally or for medical reasons. Marijuana used for medical reasons is known as medical cannabis or medical marijuana. Medical marijuana is used primarily to treat or manage certain approved health conditions. According to DigiDrs – online medical marijuana doctor in New York medical marijuana is any type of cannabis that contains an effective amount of cannabinoid to offer health benefits to users.
The decision to use medical marijuana for your health needs may require a lot of thinking. First, you consider whether the option is the right one for you. You also need to see a medical marijuana doctor who will decide whether or not you are qualified to use medical marijuana to treat your health problems.
The process of obtaining a medical marijuana card across medical marijuana states differs; however, the basic process requires the patient to present themselves and their medical records to the medical marijuana doctor. The doctor will carefully evaluate the patient based on their medical history and recommend them for a medical marijuana card.
What is Medical Marijuana Prescribed For?
As a patient who wishes to explore the world of medical marijuana, you should be aware of the health conditions that can be treated or managed using the substance. Over the years, research has proven the effectiveness of medical marijuana in the treatment and management of health problems like;
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Anxiety and Depression
- Cachexia or muscle wasting
- Cancer and effects of chemotherapy and radiation therapy
- Chronic pain and Nerve damage
- Crohn’s disease
- Hepatitis C
- HIV or AIDS
- Loss of appetite
- Muscular cramps
- Parkinson’s disease,
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), and more.
- Spasms caused by multiple Sclerosis
- Spinal cord injury
- Tourette’s syndrome
- Weight loss
Which is best for Medical Use – Indica vs. Sativa
There have been questions about which of the types of marijuana plant works best for medical use. First, one should establish that both types of plants are useful. The decision to choose one or the other should be based on what the user wishes to achieve. The Indica marijuana type offers a set of effects that are beneficial but quite different from the Sativa plant type.
The Indica-dominant cannabis plant and product can be used medicinally for a wide range of purposes. Some of the common reasons for using or recommending Indica-dominant cannabis include;
- To achieve a sedated or stoned feeling.
- To deliver a body-high sensation that leaves the body relaxed. This effect is most useful in patients who suffer from tremors and spasms.
- Ease the effect of chronic pain
- Improve sleep quality for patients who have insomnia, chronic pain, anxiety, and related conditions.
- Anti-inflammatory characteristics for patients who have arthritis, muscle stiffness, inflammation, and rheumatism.
Top Indica Strains
To enjoy any of the above-listed effects, medical marijuana patients can visit their local dispensary to purchase any of the following recommended products;
- Master Kush – Boasts of a 90 to 100 percent Indica origin
- Shiva Skunk – boasts of an 85 percent Indica origin
- Big Bud – has an 85 percent pure Indica origin
- Sensi skunk – has an 80 percent pure Indica origin
- Super skunk – has at least 80 percent pure Indica origin
While the Indica marijuana type is known to deliver a powerful body high that calms tremors and addresses epilepsy, muscle spasms, and others, the Sativa offers a different feeling. Some of the effects of the Sativa-type of marijuana plant include;
- Head-high and energetic effect causing improved focus and productivity
- It keeps the stomach content down. This is perfect for nausea treatment for cancer, HIV, and AIDs patients.
- Combats depression by stimulating positive and uplifting thoughts
- Stimulates appetite for treating anorexic patients
- Addresses chronic pain and related symptoms.
Top Sativa Strains
The Indica and Sativa cannabis plant types have been crossed over the years to develop new powerful strains. However, the strains offering a high percentage of Sativa characteristics include;
- Jamaican Pearl with as high as 85 percent similarity to the original Sativa plant
- Michka with 80 percent similarity to the original Sativa plant
- Northern lights with 70 percent pure Sativa similarity
- White Diesel Haze with 70 percent pure Sativa similarity
- X Haze with 60 percent pure Sativa similarity.
Can Hybrid Cannabis Be Used Medicinally?
Most hybrid cannabis plants and products cross between two or more Sativa strains, two or more Indica strains, or two or more Sativa and Indica strains. Hybrids offer a mixture of the positive effects that have been identified in their parent stock. This means that when its make-up heavily leans towards the Sativa strain, it can be recommended for use in Sativa-related conditions and vice versa.