5 Effective Yoga Poses For Fibromyalgia
Fibromyalgia is characterized by significant musculoskeletal pain as well as unrelenting fatigue, sleeping difficulty, and headaches.
Although anyone can develop fibromyalgia, women aged 45-70 are at a higher risk. Fibromyalgia pain resembles arthritic discomfort; however, it doesn’t cause any major damage to the joints or muscles, unlike arthritis.
Symptoms of Fibromyalgia
- Cramps and Muscle aches
- Pain in tender points
- Issues with memory- think and remember (also known as fibro fog)
Click here – 8 Everyday Health Risks You Need to Watch Out For
How Yoga Can Alleviate Fibromyalgia Pain?
- A scientific study by Oregon Health and Science University (2010) suggests that yoga alleviates symptoms of fibromyalgia, including pain, stiffness, fatigue, sleep abnormalities, stress, memory issues, and anxiety.
- Another evidence-based study published in the International Journal of Yoga Therapy (2011) supports the beneficial effects of yoga for fibromyalgia symptoms.
- Another study in 2013 (Journal of Pain Research) suggested that yoga can be a suitable alternative exercise to relieve fibromyalgia.
Effective Yoga Poses For Fibromyalgia
Yoga poses that focus on eliminating external stimulus and channelizing your energy inwards can benefit you greatly.
Standing Forward Bend
- Stand while keeping your feet hip-width apart.
- Now start slowly bending forward from the hip joint.
- Try to place the fingertips or palms on the floor. If you’re unable to reach the floor, place them either on the top of the thighs or calves.
- Hold this position for 30–60 seconds, slowly roll up your body until standing straight.
- Start this exercise by lying on the floor in the supine position.
- Put both feet flat on the floor and bend the knees
- Keep your buttocks tightened, straighten the arms, clasping them together beneath the body
- Lift the tailbone off the floor.
- Keep holding this pose for 30-60s
- Exhale and slowly relax by pulling the lower back and spine towards the bottom.
Click here – What are financial advisory services, and what are their benefits?
Cobra pose stretches the legs and helps to open up the chest muscles.
- Lie face-down (prone position) on the floor with palms under the shoulder.
- Take a deep breath in and start to push the palms against the floor while lifting up the upper body. Try not to lift the feet or pelvis off the floor.
- Feel the stretch in your lower body and chest.
- Hold this position for 15-30s before releasing the pose.
- Stand with your feet wide apart. Now, bend the right knee at 90-degree and stretch out the left leg.
- Keep your arms at a 180-degree angle from each other.
- Hold this pose for 15-30s and repeat the same with the left leg.
This pose helps the entire body to relax.
- Lie flat (supine position) on the back
- Now breathe slowly in and out and let the body relax
- Remain in this pose for 1-2 minutes
Yoga poses are not just exercise form, it helps to rejuvenate your body and energize your soul. Yoga is an effective self-care tool. It can be a great stress-buster and effectively relax the nervous system.