Clerks are present at every workplace but what is a retail clerk? Like you know that clerks help customers and people who work in offices. Clerk job is one of the important jobs that take care of all the small requirements. Retail Clerks are also one of the same types. Today we are telling you about what is a retail clerk, their responsibilities, and what qualifications and qualities one must have to become one?
What Is A Retail Clerk?
A retail clerk is a service occupation in a retail business that helps a customer to find the products and help in the payment process.
A retail clerk is also known as a sales clerk, shop clerk, and even a retail associate. In the US they are also called shop assistants and customer service assistants.
What Does A Retail Clerk Do?
Retail Clerks are not only the ones who sell retail merchandise (clothing, furniture, or cars) but also who sell and replace parts and equipment.
They work in stores and help sell goods like books, cars, cosmetics, furniture, and shoes, etc the list is long. They help a customer to select items and process the payment after which they may also pack there purchases
Besides they also have to help in stock shelves, mark price tags, and prepare displays. They have to take good care of everything in a retailer shop from selling a product to packaging and from the displays and stock shelves to the safety and security of the shop.
Duties of a Retail Clerk
Retail Clerk has some important duties to do. Here is a list of some duties.
- To greet and assist customers
- Help customers to choose the product while understanding their needs
- Answer all the queries and questions of the customer
- Inform them about all the coupons and offers
- Prepare the bills, help in the payment process and accept the payment
- Pack, wrap or bag the merchandise for the customer
- Obtain merchandise requests from customers
- Receive merchandise from selected customers
- Inform customer about the promotions, policies, and exchanges
- Maintain and manage the products and also arrange and display them on shelves and racks
- Takes care that everything is clean including shelves, tables, racks, and counters
- Take care of inventories that are to manage and maintain the records
- Keep a record of sales and order merchandise in small stores
- Take care of the customers that they have an excellent experience
How To Become Retail Clerk?
Here is how you become a clerk
- You need a high school diploma & focus on economic
- You need an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree
- Take onboard training for clerk
Skills a Retail Clerk
- You must have computer knowledge
- You must have good basic knowledge of maths, reading, and writing
- You must customer service skills
- Knowledge of store products
- You must have interpersonal skills
What Does A Retail Clerk Do?
Retail Clerks are not only the ones who sell retail merchandise (clothing, furniture, or cars) but also who sell and replace parts and equipment. They work in stores and help sell goods like books, cars, cosmetics, furniture, and shoes, etc the list is long. They help a customer to select items and process the payment after which they may also pack there purchases
Also, they have to help with stock shelves, mark price tags, and prepare displays. They have to take good care of everything in a retailer shop from selling a product to packaging and from the displays and stock shelves to the safety and security of the shop.
What Does A Retail Clerk Do At Kroger?
A Kroger store clerk has to organize shelves, sweep floors, and provide customer service. Sometimes they have to also be asked to act as cashiers
What Is A Retail Clerk At A Grocery Store?
A Retails clerk in a grocery store is also known as a grocery clerk and they are the first point of contact to customers. They assist customers in buying groceries. They also have to stock shelves and take care that the stock is available on the display racks.
What’s The Difference Between A Clerk And A Cashier?
A cashier commonly only scans groceries and stays at the cashier counter and a clerk has many duties like a stocking, attending customers, help bags and packages, and many more.
What Position Pays The Most At Kroger?
Co-Manager is the highest-paying job at Kroger with an average salary of $74,574 and an average hourly rate of $35.85. The second highest-paying job at Kroger is store manager, with an average salary of $44,884. The average annual salary at Kroger is $31,390 per year, and the average hourly pay is $15.09.
How Do You Describe A Retail Clerk On A Resume?
- Greeted customers upon entry.
- Restocked products on shelves and displays.
- Answered customer questions about store merchandise.
- Maintained a clean and orderly store.
- Processed customer orders on the cash register.
What Skills Do You Need To Be A Retail Clerk?
Store Clerk Skills And Qualifications
Good verbal communication and interpersonal skills. Excellent customer service skills. Exceptional work ethic and strict adherence to company policy and sales goals. Ability to work flexible hours and multitask in a fast-paced environment.
How Long Does It Take For Kroger To Hire You?
The hiring process at Kroger is straightforward and typically takes a few weeks for most positions. While some management or corporate level positions might have a longer hiring process, most store positions only take a couple of weeks to go through the entire process after submitting an application.
A retail clerk is the one who handles everything from greeting the customer to packaging and accepting payments. They have to take care of the inventories and stocks and also take care of shelves and display of the stock available. Apart from this, they have to maintain the stock details. To become a clerk basically, you just need to have basic knowledge of maths and should know reading and writing so that you can maintain the register. Also, you must have some skills that are a plus point when attending to a customer. This was all about a retail clerk you must know.