Every day people get involved in various life challenges. But among the serious ones are car accidents.
Roads are full of mishaps, and sometimes, people get involved in accidents at the least expected times, and some accidents are minor. In contrast, others are fatal, causing serious injuries or even death.
When you get involved in an accident due to someone’s actions, you’ll need to take legal steps as soon as possible. Taking longer might work against you, leading to an unexpected outcome, and you may fail to get the required help.
The process can get complicated if you do not know your legal rights. That is why you may need to hire a seasoned car accident attorney with experience in such cases. A lawyer will get committed to help through the lawsuit process and defend your rights. They will help you get compensated as you recover from the injuries and losses.
What to do After Getting Involved in an Accident
While many people may get confused and emotional after a car accident, it’s good to understand the right steps to take immediately after the accident. If you plan to file a lawsuit, you’ll need to take the first key measures. It’s a crucial step to help you receive financial compensation. It’s also the solid documentation at the accident scene that will help your personal injury lawyer file a solid case.
If the car accident resulted in a physical injury, you’re likely to file a lawsuit. However, your health comes first before anything else. You’ll need to get a medical evaluation from your doctor to help you get the proper care. There may be underlying health issues that you may not know. Minor injuries could require first aid such as ice, heat, or bed rest until you recover. At the same time, major injuries would need physical therapy.
Key Measures to Help Protect Your Legal Rights
Stay back at the scene- It’s crucial to try and remain at the scene of the accident. Moving away before getting solid documentation could make you vulnerable to the case and deny you legal rights. The case can be turned against you even if you are the victim, and you may be accused of a hit-and-run. It would be appropriate to call your car accident attorney for proper advice.
Check out other’s safety- Find out the condition of other people involved in the accident. Move other vehicles by the roadside and put up indicators to alert other road users about the accident. If the car is unmovable, fasten your seat belt and turn on hazards.
Call the Police- It’s wise to call emergency personnel or police even if there are no physical injuries. Once the officers arrive at the scene, ensure you obtain their contact information. If they do not respond, you may need to go to the nearest police station and report.
Exchange information- It’s important to acquire details of the other drivers at the scene. Ask for their names, contact details, license, car number, and insurance details. Don’t talk much and try to be as friendly as possible. Avoid giving an apology to the other party.
Talk to an eyewitness- In the case where there are eyewitnesses, you’ll need to request their names and contact details. Ask them what they saw as at the time of the collision as you take note of every detail they give. The information will help your car accident attorney to file a solid case in your favor.
Take pictures- Use your phone or camera to take photos of the scene. If possible, you may need to make videos for more concrete evidence. Ensure that you capture the damages done to your car. You can also find out if there are security cameras at the scene. The cameras could have recorded the happenings at the time of the collision.
Remain Discrete- Try as much as possible not to share sensitive information while still at the scene. Avoid speaking to the other driver’s insurance firm. It’s crucial to find out from the Los Angeles car accident law firm what to avoid sharing with the other party.
Take note of damages and injuries- Document all happenings immediately after the accident occurs. Take note of the anxiety, pain, bruises, and emotional effect you experience, stay in touch with your doctors and document all medical attention and diagnosis. Include incidences such as missed work and any other essential information related to your daily activities.
Causes of Car Accidents in Los Angeles
Car accidents occur due to many factors. Below are the leading causes in Los Angeles.
• Distracted Driving- It’s caused by drivers who engage in other activities while driving. Such include using cell phones, GPS devices, eating, talking to other people, or drinking.
• Drunk Driving- Drinking while driving makes the driver lose focus on the road. It’s one of the leading causes of accidents.
• Speeding- When a driver speeds the vehicle, it becomes hard to obey traffic conditions. It causes high impact collision resulting in fatal injuries.
• Improper turns- An accident is prone to happen when the driver fails to follow the rules on the road, such as stoplights, turning lanes, and road signals.
• Reckless Driving/Aggressive Driving- Reckless and aggressive driving scenarios that cause accidents are sudden braking and speeding.
• Teen Driving- Young drivers, may not have adequate driving experience. They can also drive under the influence of alcohol and drugs.
• Vehicle defects- Car accidents happen every year due to vehicle defects. The flaws include faulty brakes, faulty airbags, tires, and brakes.
• Bad weather- Accidents occur during bad weather seasons. Roads become slick during rainy times, ice and snow
• Highway construction- Drivers tend to lose focus when they can’t trace the road barrels, lights, and signs, which cause accidents.
Types of Car Accident Injuries
The most common injuries suffered in a car accident are:
• Soft tissue injuries
• Head injuries
• Shoulder injuries
• Bone fractures
• Spinal injuries
Getting Compensated for Car Accident Loses and Injuries
After getting all the necessary documentation from the accident scene, you’ll need to seek legal advice from your personal injury lawyer to guide you through the lawsuit. It’s a crucial step that you’ll need to take with utmost seriousness because that determines the outcome of the case.
Your lawyer has legal car accident in-depth knowledge and will give you an honest evaluation of the lawsuit. They will also act as a mediator between you and the insurance companies, relieving you of so much stress and making the process flawless. When you engage a Los Angeles car accident law firm, you may be entitled to get compensation for:
• Emotional stress incurred
• Medical expenses from the time of the accident all through the recovery process
• Physical pain and suffering
• Therapy and recovery associated costs
• Lost wages
• Reduced earnings/ source of income
• Loss of family relationships such as marriage
Contact West Coast Trial Lawyers for Additional Information
Car accidents can leave you stressed, and the journey to seek compensation can even make the situation worse. You don’t have to go through the experience alone. You need to seek legal help from your personal injury lawyer. Getting professional advice will get represented legally, making you stand a great chance to get your compensation rights.