The problem of ovarian cancer is widely known around the world. Fortunately, thanks to modern technologies, its treatment has become possible. Foreign clinics are showing excellent results in the treatment of oncology. That is why more than one million patients are treated abroad every year.
One of the most efficient procedures today is HIPEC therapy. HIPEC for ovarian cancer with metastases is more effective than any other method. In addition, this method is safer for the health of patients than conventional ones. Patients with newly diagnosed ovarian cancer live almost 16 months longer if they receive heated intraperitoneal chemotherapy after surgery.
Early signs of ovarian cancer can be missed easily, as they are very similar to the symptoms of other diseases. These include:
- Pain in the lower parts of the abdomen.
- Frequent urination.
- Fast weight loss.
- Disorders of the menstrual cycle.
- Feeling of pain during sexual intercourse.
If you have noticed one or more symptoms, it is recommended to undergo a preventive examination by your gynecologist.
Regular gynecological exams are the most important and effective for the diagnosis of ovarian cancer. The doctor can detect malignant neoplasms during the following procedures:
- Early diagnosis of ovarian cancer with ultrasound will help to detect even minor neoplasms with a diameter of less than 1.5 cm.
- CT scan will clarify the size of the tumor, the stage of cancer, as well as the presence of metastases.
- Blood test for cancer markers, which is an innovative type of diagnosis that will help to identify the presence of cancer cells without a biopsy.
What is HIPEC?
Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) is one of the innovative modern techniques for the treatment of abdominal cancer at its advanced stages. This method combines surgery and chemotherapy performed during the operation. The drugs used can kill cancer cells more effectively when heated to 42.0°C.
Often, intravenous chemotherapy is not efficient enough because the drugs can not reach cancer cells. In such cases, the only effective method is HIPEC, in which drugs directly affect the cells of the tumor.
To date, it is the only treatment that can prolong the life of patients by 20-50% when other methods are ineffective. In recent years, its use in gynecological oncology has reduced the percentage of deaths from ovarian cancer by 20%.
Advantages of HIPEC
The main advantage of HIPEC is that even advanced ovarian cancer can be cured with this method, as well as any earlier stage of ovarian cancer. Due to the increased temperature of the used drugs, their chemical properties are improved:
- The drug is evenly distributed throughout the abdominal cavity, resulting in an increased effect on cancer cells.
- Due to heating, the cytotoxic effect of drugs increases.
- Drugs better penetrate into the affected tissues and can completely destroy the malignant cells left after surgery.
- The drug does not affect healthy organs located outside the abdominal cavity. This reduces the risk of side effects, as opposed to conventional chemotherapy.
- It is possible to use high doses of chemotherapeutic drugs, which is impossible with conventional chemotherapy.
Results of use
Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy is a very complicated operation, which carries higher risks than standard surgery. However, its effectiveness is much higher compared to conventional treatment.
Using HIPEC has different long-term results for different types of cancer. This treatment has the most beneficial effect on patients with ovarian cancer – the five-year survival rate is about 65%.
The survival rate is 46% for stomach cancer within 1 year and 15% within 5 years. Considering that the usual survival time is less than 8 months, especially in patients with metastatic peritoneal cancer, HIPEC shows a clear advantage.
Treatment in the best clinics
Thanks to the development of medical tourism, any patient can undergo effective treatment abroad. For this purpose, it is enough to contact the best medical tourism operator Booking Health. Over the years, thousands of patients have received treatment with their help.
With Booking Health, you will find the best clinic for HIPEC for ovarian cancer at competitive prices. In addition, you will be treated by experienced doctors in the best clinics in the world. And throughout your treatment, you will receive 24-hour support from Booking Health specialists.