Senior Citizen Pedestrian Accident: The Best Course Of Action
We have all been pedestrians at some point, pedestrians’ safety should be at the forefront of our minds. Unfortunately, pedestrian accidents occur frequently causing injuries or even death.
In fact, according to the statistics from National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, one pedestrian injury occurs every seven minutes, and death every two hours.
While everyone is at risk of being injured or killed as a pedestrian, older adults are at a higher risk. Many seniors have issues with balance problems, poor reflexes, and mobility issues that cause them to walk slowly putting them at risk of being injured.
Common Causes Of Senior Pedestrian Accidents
Senior pedestrian accidents occur often because someone was acting negligently. This includes:
- Distracted driving(texting or calling)
- Drunk driving
- Reckless driving
- Failure to yield the right way
- Non-adherence to posted speed limits
- Ignoring or misusing traffic spots
When a serious injury occurs because of these or other negligent acts, the injured person may have grounds for a personal injury claim.
Common senior pedestrian accident injuries are:
- Brain Injury
- Scrapes and cuts
- Head Injury
- Broken bones
While these can be very serious, even more serious is death that occurs as a result of the car accident. According to experienced personal injury lawyers in Tampa, if a senior citizen pedestrian is involved in an accident and wonders how to receive compensation, legal representation is necessary.
In such unforeseen circumstances, these professional lawyers can easily guide senior citizens on what to do. If a loved one is killed in an accident due to an at-fault driver, a wrongful attorney can provide legal advice and help seek compensation from the party at fault.
The personal injury lawyers ensure they take you through the steps involved for your compensation. They employ their skills, knowledge and expertise to work.
It helps to find a personal injury defense lawyer who fights tirelessly to execute the justice you deserve. The dedicated attorney for car accidents should make sure that you’re compensated right to get you back on your feet.
Remember that; there are instances when insurance for personal injury companies can reject your claim. But, the best accident law firm will work smart on your behalf, and fight for your rights by doing the following:
- Giving you the right advice on how to proceed
- Representing you in the lawsuit
- Talking and negotiating with the insurance company involved
What To Do Following A Senior Pedestrian Accident
The scene of an accident can be very confusing and chaotic, especially when it involves a senior pedestrian.
Here are 5 steps you should take following a senior pedestrian accident;
- If the accident scene is unsafe, try to move the vehicle and the victim to the shoulder of the road or into a nearby parking lot. The stress of a pedestrian accident is overwhelming and you’ll probably feel a mix of shock and adrenaline.
By remaining calm, you will be able to communicate with the driver, the witnesses, and the police officers when they arrive at the scene.
- Call the police so they can document the scene and keep the driver present. Call the police immediately and do not let go of the driver even if you think you are unharmed. Unfortunately, personal injury lawyers know that people make that mistake all the time.
You may think that you’re okay, and have escaped without any serious injuries, only to find later you had a broken rib, wrist, or even worse.
- Gather sufficient information for your personal injury defense lawyer. Make sure the pedestrian accident report is thorough and complete. You might have to repeat the same story several times to the personal injury lawyers or your insurance company.
Personal injury lawyers recommend writing down the following information and including all parties and witnesses.
- Get the drivers basics- name, address, insurance company name, and policy number
- Take a lot of pictures. It’s crucial to take photos of the accident.
- Gather the names and phone numbers of the pedestrian accident witness.
- Checking for injuries and seeking medical attention if needed. Often, getting checked by a medical professional is a good idea as some injuries may not present themselves right away.
Any pedestrian accident claims may cause you to have damages resulting from serious injuries.
- Talk to a personal injury lawyer
Contact your personal injury lawyer before speaking to any insurance adjuster, even if it is your own insurance company. Attorneys know this well, and insurance companies often prioritize profit rather than people.
Hence, your best interests may not be their priority. This also applies to the interactions with the insurance provider of the party who drove the motor vehicle and caused the car accident.
A personal injury lawyer can advise how to craft your letter to the insurance company and prove the information you’d never otherwise think about.
What Happens If The Policy Maximum Is Reached, Notwithstanding My Injuries?
The injuries sustained by a defenseless pedestrian in accidents frequently exceed the $10,000 standard coverage. Some motorists are covered by bodily injury liability insurance, which pays out if they cause harm to someone else while driving. The majority, however, does not include these individuals.
You have the right to immediately sue an at-fault driver in cases where your losses exceed $10,000, and your injuries are permanent. When you do, you must prove that the driver was the one who was at fault.
Senior pedestrian accidents are more prevalent due to the rise of distracted driving accidents. Pedestrians are also guilty of distracted walking. The driver is only held liable when they are over speeding, texting, on a cell phone, or otherwise not obeying the rules of the traffic.
But, in case of a senior pedestrian accident, you need to remain calm and act accordingly.
Personal injury lawyers can be helpful in such situations. The goal of the personal injury defense lawyers is to make the accident case process as easy and painless for you as possible. They handle all the medical bills, lost wages, and other damages for you to focus on getting better again.
You don’t have to go through this alone, the experienced lawyers can intervene in every step and will protect your attorney- client relationship.